What a lovely summer heat in september! Who had thought that I could wear my lightweight Midsummer Night's Dream dress in these days!
As soon as the pattern was released, I loved it.
To say the truth, I very much love the name. Midsummer Night's Dream was the first ballet my daughters would dance with their Ballett-Ensemble, so I have got some sweet memories.
However, I realised that the pattern has got some issues, described by some of the few bloggers who had already sewn it.
The pattern rested in my drawer waiting for the right fabric. Eventually, at a fabric outlet, I purchased a very lightweight cotton/silk blend, a perfect material for this pattern.
I had intended to use the border print along the neckline, but made an error aligning the waistline. I then cut the back bodice accordingly. I cut the skirt as long as my fabric allowed me to.
I used self bias binding. I sewed the skirt's back center with a french seam, the other ones I made as false flat felled seams (foot #70) to make them more stable.
This was nearly to become a bad dud! The front armhole was way too long. The straps were moved extremely to the center. So I remembered Chantal's solution to gather the front armhole. Sewing three pleats, I pinched three full inches out of each front armhole.
This way, I've got a lovely airy summerdress. The skirt's overlap is very well designed, no gaping fear!
Pattern: Midsummer Night's Dream Dress, Papercut Patterns
Size: XS bust, S waist and skirt
Fabric: Cotton/silk blend, paisleylike borderprint, KBC Lörrach
Alterations: 3 pleats of one inch each at front armhole, midi /maxi length.
Chantal's two dresses
Mel's, Juliet's and Kat's
Let's see who else is wearing an airy summer dress at this time of the year at MeMadeMittwoch!
Enjoy some nice late summer days!